WLF We Are The Proud Supporter of Women LIteracy Foundation
About | Get Social   
Send us an email
Info@DFRIHR.com
(M-F 10AM to 6PM CST)
1-877-803-3486

Blog

Say No To Drama: Effective Ways To Ensure Harmony At Workplace

Workplace Harmony

Staying cooped-up inside an office building for 9 hours, 5 days a week can have a dramatic side-effect.

Workplace is a melting pot for different cultures, personalities, backgrounds, and skills. An imbalance environment is created when these differences are paired with work-related stress and performance pressure.

This transforms your office space into a conflicting war zone, where individuals are competing for recognition and ideas.

Factors like lack of communication, absence of conducive culture, and a vague vision lead to disharmony in workplace; however, you can mitigate this by taking some corrective measures.

Learn about your workplace engagement dynamics

A survey conducted by Gallup revealed that only 30 percent of U.S workforce is actively engaged. This leaves the remaining 70 percent either disengaged or actively-disengaged. Workers performance is highly impacted by the nature of their engagement with the company, actively engaged employees harness better result compared to the disengaged employees.

Disengaged employees have a poor performance record because they feel frustrated, under-utilized, or unappreciated by the company.

On the other hand, actively disengaged employees are the real source of problem, as they choose to perform at a minimum level and contribute in creating a negative culture in the office.

If they are left unaddressed, they can cause the disengaged employee to cross over.

Identify the cause of disengagement and motivate them to start showing result. Being invested in work, there will be no time left for brewing office drama.

Manager Intervention

A study conducted in Stanford University showed that managers had no proper scale to measure the severity of a workplace disagreement. Lack of communication leaves gaps in information, which further leads to disharmony between departments.

The same study also highlighted that workplace conflict has multiple stages; a disagreement between two employees can easily escalate to a company-wide issue. Managers should monitor conflicts closely; sufficient amount of time should be provided to both parties to resolve the situation without manger’s intervention.

If you see no progress and the argument has escalated to the point, where both parties are joining forces with allies to make a company-wide drama, managers should intervene.

You can have a one-on-one meeting with both parties and try finding a middle ground that is agreeable to both.

Be A Far-Sighted Leader

As a manager, you need to step in and take charge when things take a bad turn. Be vigilant about underlying office politics and put a stop to any conflicting situation before it starts impacting the company’s culture.

Make sure your team knows the code of conduct, and office interaction policies. Keep reminding them about behaviors that are unacceptable in the workplace and can lead to disciplinary actions.

Enforce rules and policies that limit workplace bullying and gossip. A strong reporting system will also help identify underlying issues in your organization; therefore, work hard to have a transparent system in place.

Don’t Avoid Mediation

Stepping in to resolve employee conflicts can tricky. You have to be just, unbiased, and rational. Your reluctance to intervene can create a hostile office environment.

Managers’ attitude toward a conflict sets a tone for the entire team. You need to lead by example, and take these conflicting situations as an opportunity to learn, grow and improve your team’s dynamics.

Don’t Prolong The Drama

The longer your leave the issue brewing, the more intricate and far-spread the conflict will be. Get help from DFRI.

We are an expert in resolving workplace conflicts and building strong employer-employee relationship. We also provide HR outsourcing services, and formulate and execute comprehensive and strategic solutions for variety of businesses. Call 1-877-803-3486 to learn more about our services.